Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wondering what size to save my photos for clients on a disk (or a photo site upload) so they can print them. I don't want them to be so large that they take forever to upload. But, I don't want them to be too small either. Thanks Maris!

If you shoot in RAW, save as a JPEG and choose a file quality of about 8 or so (you should be able to go to 10 or 12). This will compress the file but will not compromise quality in a noticeable way. I always try to keep a 300dpi for printing, but some do go lower. If you shoot in JPEG just save at that slightly lower quality level and you should be fine.

You might want to consider a second folder on your disk that has images sharpened and compressed for web. The files will be much smaller and will upload more quickly for website use. I now include the two folders, and label them "FOR PRINTING" and "FOR WEB USAGE", and this works well.

Ask me anything

No comments: