Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Express Your Love Through Photography | Maris Ehlers Photography

Angel Petit has been an assistant with Maris Ehlers Photography since June 2010.  I love Angel’s sense of adventure, her kindness, her willingness to do just about anything, and her ability to keep me SANE.  Plus, we have a lot of fun together.  


I have always had an interest in photography.  Over the last 8 months, watching and working with Maris, I have seen my interest turn into a passion and inspiration.  I love assisting on shoots with Maris, and learn something every time we are in front of a client.  
Maris has been teaching me how to “see” through the camera  and has been pointing me to  photography-related learning resrouces.  This month, I am taking an online photo workshop through Willette Photography, entitled “Joy of Love.” 


Every day we are given a new topic related to love to capture, and it has given me purpose when picking up a camera (instead of random shooting). The topics are simple and relate to every day life.  Below are a few of my favorite entries : 

What They Do:
My oldest son Cooper does his homework every night at this table. This picture captures him doing what he loves to do, math.
Who They Love:
Morgan and Carter - Edited with Totally Rad Actions - Revenge Set - Pool Party
My 4 year old, Morgan, has developed a new found appreciation and love for our 11 year old Golden Retriever, Carter. I captured this picture of them together because Carter may not be around much longer.  When that time comes, I want to have a picture for Morgan to remind him of how much he loved his pup.
“Sometimes love is for a moment. Sometimes love is for a lifetime. Sometimes a moment is a lifetime.”   ~ Author Unknown

As I write this, exactly six years ago I was 10 weeks along in my second pregnancy, but just wasn’t feeling right. I went to the doctor, and the ultrasound showed I was carrying twins. 


However, in the next moment I was told that neither one of them had a heartbeat.  


I only had a moment to love those children but that moment was a lifetime.


From this experience I discovered all kinds of love; love for two children I would never lay eyes on, a deeper love for my husband as I grieved, the love and support from friends and family.  It also changed my love for my son Morgan.  Without that loss, I would not have him to love!

Love Month
Instead of focusing on THE day of love (Valentine's Day), I have made the entire month about reminding myself what love means to me and then expressing that love through photography.  Here is my list: 
  • Love is a simple look from your husband of 12 years that says everything
  • Love is your child seeing you at your worst and saying and believing that you're beautiful
  • Love is making a huge effort on a child's birthday to express your love for him or her
I'm not sure what was more work.  The cake or the picture!
  • Love is seeing the beauty within
  • Love is the ache in your heart when parted from someone who needs you
  • Love is a simple nuzzle or touch from your child
  • Love is holding your child for the first time
  • Love is the kind, comforting words whispered by a friend when you need it most
  • Love is kissing on the lips according to my 8 year old though he thinks it’s gross
This list makes me smile every time I read it. I challenge you to make your own list of “Love Is...” and share your comments here or the Maris Ehlers Photography Facebook Page.  If you'd like, post a picture on your page and tag us so we can see it.    I’d "love" to see what love means to you, and it only takes a second!  


~ Angel

No comments: