Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Mpls Copywriter Jen Wittkopf Discovers Wisdom in Justin Biebers Words "Never Say Never" | Maris Ehlers Photography

Never Say Never
By Jen Wittkopf


I never wanted to be a mom.

When other little girls played with dolls, I dug in the mud for juicy night-crawlers. As teenagers, my sister and I babysat together. She took care of the babies and toddlers while I hung out in the yard with the family pets. And when I got married, my husband and I got a black Lab, focused on our careers and called that perfect for seven years.

Then something changed. Okay, I turned 29 and realized that the time was right to start a family. I thought maybe, just maybe, something was missing. It was just a niggling feeling in the back of my mind. But, still, a baby? Me? No way. And that, my friends, was the moment I realized parenting means (in the immortal words of Justin Bieber), “Never say never.”

Fast-forward 11 years and I am the mother – the mommy – of two girls. All the fears I had about being a parent – sleeplessness, worries and driving a car with a third-row seat – have come to true. Yet motherhood surpasses anything I could have imagined.

I never envisioned a thousand games of Go Fish with a highly competitive three-year old could entertain me. Never considered the unbridled joy I’d feel when my late bloomer finally took her first steps. Most of all, I never suspected motherhood would uncover a stronger, kinder, slightly more patient version of myself.

It took me awhile to get here, but I love the challenges, responsibilities and joys of being a mom. Do I long for the days I was child-free and driving a cool car? Never.


Jen with her family on a sunny beach. Obviously somewhere other than here.
Jen Wittkopf is a copywriter living in Plymouth, Minnesota, with her amazing husband, charming daughters and a large dog. You can view more of Jen's work at www.jenwittkopf.com.








Please enjoy our other Mother's Day Musings: 


How To Describe My Mother by local writer Sara Biren

My own musings on Ten Things I Didn't Expect From Motherhood

No comments: