Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

formspring.me

As an all around photographer I'm wondering if RAW is better to shoot in rather than JPEG. Also the workflow associated with that in regards to opening RAW images in Photoshop without converting to JPEG first.

Um.....yeah! Shooting in RAW format will give you much more control over your images and a lot more detail in them. I was intimidated by shooting in RAW, but once I started I never looked back, and I'm sure you won't, either. RAW files are much, much bigger than jpegs though, so be prepared to invest in memory. I use the Sandisk Extreme disks. They are incredible.

When you move to RAW you need the editing horsepower to efficiently and effectively work with the images, which brings us to workflow. I do not use Photoshop to import my photos or for general editing. I use Adobe Lightroom. It's amazing. It's also non-destructive, which means that you actually edit the thumbnail of the image, but the original remains intact. Once you export the images into a new folder, that is when the changes are made to a new copy of the file. It's fabulous. I use Photoshop for some very specific editing tricks, and don't get me wrong - I love Photoshop for that. Having said that, if for some ungodly reason I had to pick one or the other, I'd choose Lightroom!

Ask me anything

No comments: